Monday, May 19, 2014

Fried chicken with paprika and cayenne


If you use egg as the adhesive when frying chicken, the coating may become claggy. A good many recipes recommend buttermilk; but, having no further use for buttermilk, I would have to throw a good deal of it away. So I tried an egg and milk mixture, which worked well. Gluten-free flour works well, too – it’s less stodgy than wheat flour.

I like chicken to be well cooked, so I poach the drumsticks first. You can keep the stock for another recipe.

Season the flour liberally. The amount of flour that will end up as coating is quite small.

Serves 2.

6 chicken drumsticks
1 egg, beaten
100ml milk
Gluten-free flour
1tbsp paprika
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
Salt, pepper
Sunflower oil


Cover the drumsticks with water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 45-60 minutes. Take out the drumsticks and keep the stock for another recipe.

In a wide bowl, beat the egg with the milk.

Cover a plate with flour, and season it with the peppers and salt.

Dip the drumsticks in the egg mixture, and roll them in the flour.

Put sunflower oil into a heavy, 28cm frying pan to a depth of about half a cm. Place the pan over a medium heat, until a small piece of bread sizzles in the oil. Fry the drumsticks until crispy on each side – about 10 to 15 minutes.

4 comments:

pablopatito said...

I like the pre-cooking idea, although an hour seems a bit long? Buttermilk is cheap, so I'm not sure it's worth wasting an egg for? I'm thinking about marinating in buttermilk overnight, and then cooking in the marinade, before coating and frying. Would that work?

Nicholas Clee said...

You may find an hour a bit long. I like my chicken to be almost falling off the bone - but I can see that you don't want it to fall off while you're trying to fry it.

My reasoning was that a single egg wouldn't be wasted, whereas two-thirds of a pint of buttermilk would be. But cooking the chicken in the milk is an interesting idea. I wouldn't bother to marinate it, because the milk is there to assist the coating process rather than to provide flavour, which comes from the seasoned flour.

One advantage of poaching the chicken in water was that I could keep the stock they made.

pablopatito said...

I don't know what the marinating is for, but Gordon Ramsay recommends it here http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gordon-ramsays-home-cooking/articles/all/buttermilk-fried-chicken-recipe

Indian recipes said...

Your recipes are great..its simply a delish..perfect!