Thursday, May 01, 2008

Red pepper hummus

This is the hummus I made with my tahini. It was lighter, less pasty, than versions I have made with tahini from a jar. The pepper helped to loosen the texture too.

1 tin chickpeas, rinsed in a sieve
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, chopped
2tbsp tahini
1 red pepper (from a Cypressa jar -- or fresh and roasted)
A little salt (the chickpeas have been sitting in brine)
Pinch cayenne
1dstsp olive oil

Put all the ingredients, expect the oil, in a food processor, and whizz. You may need to interrupt the whizzing to scrape the mixture from the sides of the bowl. Pour a little water through the spout if the hummus seems too thick.

You do not need to add a lot more oil to a mixture that already contains the oily tahini. In my experience, olive oil whizzed in a processor loses its fruitiness; I prefer to stir it in at the end.

No comments: