Friday, September 07, 2007

Spinach and chick pea curry

I do not think that 25 minutes is too long to spend on cooking lunch for one. Sometimes, you want a break; and you don't want a sandwich. I might have prepared this curry even faster.

I washed a bag of spinach from the organic box, shoved the wet leaves into a saucepan, covered it, and put it on a high heat. After about a minute, once the spinach had started to collapse, I stirred it around until all the leaves had wilted. I drained the spinach, leaving behind the water, to which I added more water for some rice. I put the pan back on the heat.

Meanwhile, I had been softening a chopped onion with a chopped garlic clove in some groundnut oil.

When the water was boiling, I threw in my rice (75 g). (There is more on cooking rice here.) With five minutes to go, I brought out my pack of Seasoned Pioneer spices, and added half a tsp of the cardamom masala and half a tsp of the black cumin seeds to the onion and garlic, along with a minced, thumbnail-sized piece of ginger. I gave this mixture a minute to cook before tipping in a drained and rinsed can of chick peas, turning up the heat a little to warm them through. I squeezed the spinach, chopped it, and threw it into the pan, with a half tsp of balti garam masala and a third of a tsp of cayenne pepper. Canned chick peas are salty; but I ground a little more salt into the curry. I drained the rice.

Not the most refined of dishes. But just what I felt like eating.


1 comment:

Vyom Overseas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.