Monday, February 05, 2007

Spotted dick

Having said that I am not a fan of Gordon Ramsay's Times column, I found in it another recipe appealing to my wintry yearning for steamed puddings. Here it is. (You have to scroll through the pages. Note also that the Times has a redesigned website, which, as I write this, is loading extremely slowly.)

I prepared this pudding as I did Ramsay's lemon one, in a glass bowl, with greaseproof paper and then three layers of foil wrapped round it.

My golden syrup stuck to the side of the bowl. I smeared it on with the back of a spoon. Perfect.

As the recipe says, the batter is sticky: the cooked pudding emerges slightly crumbly in places. You might want to use just a little more milk, for that genuinely institutional, stodgy texture.

Again, I was too lazy to make the custard. We ate the pudding with cream.


No comments: