Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Carrot and white radish salad

I was grateful to Growing Communities for supplying a recipe with the white radish that came in the vegetable box last week: I would not have known what to do with it otherwise. The recipe included rice vinegar; but, since using the last of mine, I have been unable to find any more in my local shops. The sunflower seeds are my suggestion.

1 medium carrot
Same quantity white radish
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted in a dry pan
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
Dash of cayenne pepper

Peel the carrot and radish, and cut into julienne strips. (I cut the vegetables into 2.5 cm lengths, cut them again into thin wedges, and cut these wedges into thin strips.) Put the strips into a bowl or colander, mix with the salt, and leave for one hour. Squeeze out the liquid.

Put the carrot and radish into a serving bowl. Add the other ingredients, and mix.

The colour of the vegetables will have faded. But the flavour is lively.

No comments: